There are 14 different characters in Audiosurf, which can be divided into 6 types:
- Mono Characters - Characters which focus on collecting colored blocks and avoiding grey blocks
- Vegas - A character that can shuffle the tiles on its board
- Eraser Characters - Characters that can remove tiles of a certain color from its board
- Pointman Characters - Characters that can pick up blocks to use them later
- Pusher Characters - Characters that can push blocks to a different column when collecting them
- Double Vision Characters - Characters that play with two cars instead of one
The different character types have multiple characters (with the exception of Vegas, which only has one), which are sorted by difficulty:
- Casual Characters: Easy characters for beginners. These are Mono, Pointman and Double Vision.
- Pro Characters: More difficult characters for regular players. These are Mono Pro, Vegas, Eraser, Pointman Pro, Pusher and Double Vision Pro.
- Elite characters: Difficult characters for expert players. These are Ninja Mono, Eraser Elite, Pointman Elite, Pusher Elite and Double Vision Elite.
Scores are sorted by difficulty; the casual character scores are put on the casual scoreboard, the pro character scores are put on the pro scoreboard, and the elite character scores are put on the elite scoreboard.